Flag Care and Maintenance
The following is a list of care and maintenance items that will increase the life of your U.S. flag and other Nylon, Cotton or Polyester Flags:
- Buy flags made of materials that are recommended for your type of intended use.
- Outdoor Use: Nylon or Polyester
- Indoor/Commemorate/Parade Use: Cotton
- Inspect your flagpole and associated assemblies for any rough edges or damage of any kind that could potentially "catch" or "snag" your flag. Additionally, make sure that the area around your flagpole is clear of trees, roofs, building fascia or other objects that would interfere with the full fly of your flag. A minor catch or pull on your flag will quickly result in tattering.
- Inspect your flag periodically, especially the "fly" hem (the hem opposite the header). Check the reinforced stitching for any breaks or missing threads.
- For optimal performance, do not fly your flag in the rain or snow. Exposure to extreme weather and/or excessively high winds account for the majority of flag performance failures. A wet flag should be removed from the pole and placed upon a flat surface to dry at indoor room temperature. Never fold a dampened or wet flag.
- Flag size should be appropriate for the height of your flagpole. Generally, the width of your flag should measure approximately ? of the height of your flagpole.
- Flags 8'x12' and larger, experience added stress when flown simply because of their size. Maintenance of these flags is essential as they also represent a significant investment. Many customers keep more than one flag on-hand and rotate them in usage to extend their useful life and to be sure that they are never without a flag while one is being replaced or repaired.
- We DO NOT recommend machine washing or drying of sewn and embroidered or printed flags. Flags can be hand washed in a mild soap, rinsed thoroughly, and laid flat to dry. Wrinkle removal on cotton and polyester flags can be done by using a household iron on the lowest heat setting or by commercial dry cleaning using a low heat press.
1420 Kansas Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64127
Toll Free:1-888-932-3524 (1-888-WEB-FLAG)